BlackHatPlus.com

A forum about BlackHat and Beyond

How to build a website with some back-end output

by Gilbert » 2016-02-05 10:14

So. I have a project / idea needs a website, which will be responsive design, and will have some form for users to fill. I'll need to capture the data and have it accessible.

I am a beginner programmer, but it has taken a lot of free online resources - I had gotten myself to the base rate in HTML / CSS, Javascript, and crappier level in python. I have built the basic things with them all, nothing crazy. I'm pretty decent at logic and learn new STUFF so if I need something else as part of the answer, do not hesitate to say so, I am willing!

So the question (s):

1 Will I be able to build a responsive website as a beginner? Should I use a template? Any pointers?

2 This site will have the form / text field to fill and I need to capture data - how do I do this? Do I use the back-end languages ​​such as Python - or I should learn something like PHP? Which one is recommended? Where do I store the data? (Make a domain provider usually has storage, or do I put it on my computer, or need to buy server space -? This will not be a ton of data)

3 For a basic website with multiple pages, and possibly four page form to fill out, how long this sounds like it would take for a newbie?

I know I can pay someone, but I use this as a learning experience for coding at the top of the project itself, so I do not mind if it takes a little longer.

Thanks for any help / advice!
Gilbert

by Randy » 2016-02-05 22:09

1) Yes you can build a website that responds as a beginner. Take a look into CSS and the use of "media inquiries". These are the core of responsive design. You can use a frame too if you wish. If Python is your thing, then look like Django framework.

2) Data are captured usually how to send some sort of server-side script. If you go Python and Django, then Django will help methods and functions for the management of data presentation, and then how to store that data in a database. Roughly 99.9% of all web hosting provides storage database. It is a staple food and receive a host without some kind of database. Most have MySQL. As for storage on disk for files, which can very widely and depends on how much you are willing to pay. I would not get any plan under 5GB of storage. Also, do not be cheap, pay for a host and expect to pay $ 10- $ 25 per month.

3) This may take a newbie a few days. Once you build one way, the other will be easier to do. The longest part is building the website template and the choice of colors, graphics and font styles. Especially if you are a bit of a perfectionist.
Randy

by Warren » 2016-02-06 10:17

If you also find Django daunting, you might want to take a look at Frasco, a smaller Python web application framework.
Warren

by Marco » 2016-02-07 17:31

The solution to use Django and Python sounds too complicated for me. Maybe it is not. I really have no ides. But if all you need is to capture a small amount of data in a form, and that the website should be sensitive, then start using it is very simple.
Bootstrap has lots of templates you can use and benefit. All you have to do is pretty much copy and paste into the html file. They have a lot of classes can only be inserted into your code, or you want to make a sensible image.

On the other hand, if you want to capture data that is written in the text boxes, this can be done by applying Javascript, fire some events related to that-submit button *, use and always store you wish ( and he puts it into the variables and store the information in a text file).

The html5 has built forms using the <input type = "..."> symtax. which it has its own submitbuttons too, like <input type = "submit" />. I am very interested in how this works, how the date is sent and captured.

* You can not use the <input type = "submit" /> for this, just use a regular button like <button type "button" => Submit </ button>
Marco

by Brandon » 2016-02-08 16:07

A big downside for ASP.NET is that good servers can get expensive. Microsoft technology comes at a premium. Expect to pay more if you go that route. At least if you want a decent service.

It is also a technology "heavier", more for business than small sites. There is a little more on configuring it and learn it. (Although I admit I'm not very familiar with Microsoft MVC things later revisions.)

I usually novice's advice to stay away from. NET and Java as a first language. Something along the lines of Python, Rails, PHP or even Node.js would be my suggestions.
Brandon

Return to Web Development