BlackHatPlus.com

A forum about BlackHat and Beyond

How Can I Succeed In Web Dev?

by Randolph » 2016-01-30 8:13

I'm sure this question will be asked a lot, so let me be redundant and ask again!

Coming from a background that is more artistic (music composition and art) I have found it to be a real struggle to learn the code. I've been using Codeacademy for about 4 months now and have covered the basics of HTML5, CSS, Javascript, Ruby, PHP, Phython, JQuery, and Rails and AngularJS. It's been hours and I still feel like for all I've accomplished in autodidactism, I'm pretty confident in my abilities as a programmer. In art and music, I still put in countless hours but always felt like I could let my barriers go and soak into a sort of semi-meditative state of flow ... while programming was once the brain, and is very difficult to concentrate on (as my experience with math!).

I would like to know what other, more experienced programmer can tell of their experience in learning the code and whether or not it come naturally to you, or if like me, it was difficult and tedious every step of the way? I may be presumptuous to say this, but I imagine you do well in physics and mathematics discovered natural programming?

PS There is no way I reduce the benefits of creative programming ... in fact, I was determined to learn so that I can empower themselves to build ideas of my web application and do not rely on others to do it for me.
Randolph

by Christopher » 2016-01-30 22:07

The logic portion is what most struggle with. The syntax is not a big problem because it can be looked up.
I learned to read. Code Academy is poor, you have to do it their way and it is not the only or even the best way to do things.
Buy books onwhatever tickle your fancy and work through the problem it gives. But, the logical side is what will give the biggest problem.
Christopher

by Alexander » 2016-01-31 15:43

I have just finished my Bachelor's IT where I majored in Software / Web Development.
Even before I started my degree I had never done ANY programming nor was I interested in it so I'm a real noob. The first year went along fine but I still do not know what I wanted to do infact after programming the semester I decided that it was not for me because I fought on the side of logic really bad so I switched to the network. In the second year I took a class other programming and I started to get more of a grip on things but still I noob like I'm not good with logic but that was when I really decided that I wanted to be a programmer so I'm taking a programming class from the moment and continue learning outside the classroom to further my knowledge.
Programming is hard if you are a slow learner. One thing many people do is to give up when they could not do anything wrong!
No matter how bad you on something you can always get to the place where you CAN be good because remember, we are not born with the skills they need to learn.
Alexander

by Cameron » 2016-02-01 18:47

For the record, this means you have covered the basics of what is taught Codecademy. There is no way you have learned all the basics of all the languages ​​/ frameworks / libraries for only four months.
It's actually a great start though. You have a good mix of marking languages ​​client and server / libs. Now you need to focus on those who would like to continue.
For example, you have in your list of Ruby, PHP and Python. Pick any seemed to be more your style, then start building something with it. If you choose Ruby, Rails is obviously the way to go. Of course, with Node.js, JavaScript can also be a server-side language. There are quite a duality there, working with Node means that you are using the same language for the interaction of server and client scripts.
As for the list of client side, jQuery is enormously important. These days, it is almost as important to learn jQuery, and it is to learn JavaScript. Angle is big these days too.
With regard to his question, not all learn the same way. I found the features of the programming language to be very natural to learn; Once capture the logic used, it becomes very clear. CSS, however, remains a challenge for me, and I began to learn to write 15 years ago. It's a combination of being a mess of a rule and I have very little knowledge of design compared to programming skills.
I have worked with people who have struggled, then they got better. I worked with people who have struggled, and finally found different races. It is not something that can really predict for you.
You have shown good initiative, through various training courses online. Find more on technologies like best, and start building something real. Come up with a reason to make a website. Go for it. I mentioned that we all learn differently; that's true, but for me, there is no better way to learn to do. These tasks and learning sites often use very artificial examples (how many times have we heard the "A square is a rectangle is a form of" example to describe the O inheritance? Animal, cat and dog?) And for me, examples invented don 't stick well.
But things in the real world does.
Cameron

Return to Web Development