BlackHatPlus.com

A forum about BlackHat and Beyond

Getting Started On A Web App

by Forrest » 2016-02-03 11:21

I have worked a lot on the frame of the front-end and have a pretty good grasp on designing static pages. My learning process has involved several months of tinkering with popular frameworks and apply my own CSS and Javascript components.

Now, I want to start playing around with web applications, ie, applications that communicate with a database for storing information, encourage certain events, flood tables with data, and the works. I've tried to look for open-source applications and gits each so I can pay them and playing with them in my spare time, but I just found things I did not understand or did not know what to make of.

I want to know what it takes to build web applications. I understand the answer may be different, therefore, this is my scenario: I want to build a site where users can log into their account and accessing the home page of his own personal and dynamic, full of cards and tiles hold all kinds of information they want displayed whether it was the time in other parts of the world, the weather in one of their favorite locations, or a simple to-do list, such as Google Now.

What knowledge, software, and resources that will be needed to start something like this, and is there a similar application open source I can upload it to my server and dissected so that I can imitate and learn the syntax and other techniques have been used to make them apps?
Forrest

by Randall » 2016-02-03 22:34

I think you begin to learn a server-side language. PHP, Ruby, along with RoR, c #/VB w/ASP.NET, ect. Get the basics, like you did with the front end and then go deeper. Looks like you're on the right track.
Randall

by Matt » 2016-02-04 12:25

Ruby on Rails, or just Rails, is an open source web application framework written in Ruby. Rails is a framework of model-view-controller (MVC), providing standard structures for a database, a web service and web pages.
Matt

by Adrian » 2016-02-05 17:06

In order to develop a dynamic site, you need to learn any language for server-side script, for example, PHP, asp.net or JSP etc.
Adrian

Return to Web Development