BlackHatPlus.com

A forum about BlackHat and Beyond

What is your recommendation for the "best" directory site bu

by Shawn » 2016-01-17 10:11

It seems there are a lot of tools were introduced that build directory sites (including new WSO I just noticed today). While they usually look great at first glance, closer examination reveals their flaws and limitations.

So what are your recommendations for the "best" site builder directory? What tools do you use? Which would you avoid?

I am looking to build a directory for offline business in a particular niche, and ideally I'd like something that:
a) professional look
b) easy to use by the consumer
c) easier for companies to add their own list
d) easy for ME to add a list (ideally through the import and not manually)
e) has resulted gen features for local business (eg contact form, the ability to include coupons, etc.)
f) has reviews / ratings and can accept new user reviews / comments
feature g) geo (map, location, direction)
h) monetization options
i) other "gee whiz" feature
j) does not take a PhD to figure out; the learning curve fast enough

Perhaps this needs to be separated into themes and plugins, or perhaps they are available in a single solution. Curious what has worked for others.

Thank you,
Shawn

by Cosmo » 2016-01-18 14:23

Hey,

I think Plugin Directory Business has most of what you are looking for.
Cosmo

by Leland » 2016-01-19 15:46

I'm partial to the directory Press. This WordPress theme with lots of features. I have some of their other themes and they are good.
Leland

by Ruben » 2016-01-20 17:22

I advise you to have a script specially built to your specifications.

Doing that, the admin panel you will not be cluttered with never ending options that you do not want. You will only see the options you requested, it will save you time doing daily tasks, in fact most of the choices can be made manually so that you do not need to see the options for what you've decided. For example: You want to map, why you should see an option asking if you want map or not? Bug will be easily detected because of lack of choice interact at a lower chance of having a script problem. This means less updating required. There are so many advantages in having specially constructed script.

Cons obviously cost more in the beginning. But the script is ready to make you typically would have to hire and spend money to make the script the way you want. And depending on the modification you want, you may end up with a Frankenstein-style mashup can be a pain when you have to upgrade the original manuscript.
Ruben

Return to Web Development